Preventing inflammation around your gums starts with your at home oral hygiene routine. Gum diseaseor periodontitis is a gum infection that damages the soft tissue,and can destroythebone if not treatedpromptly. Gum disease is a slow process and can advance in same cases before you notice there is anissue. The advancement process is typically painless,and attendingyour regular examsin our office iskey to making sure your gums and teeth are healthy.
Daily oral hygiene at home helps to keep your teeth and mouth healthy and can prevent gum diseasefrom developing. Brushing and flossing daily are ways to keep your mouth looking and feeling great,andalso minimizes your risk for developing gum disease.
When patients visit our office we discuss your oral health,and recommend changes to your oral careroutine at home if we see a need for improvement. Our highly trained staff can develop a personalizedcare program for you to follow at home.
At Home Oral H ygiene Recommendations To Prevent Gum Disease
- Attend regular dental exams to remove plaquebuildup and tartar, as well as to detect any signsof gum disease early.
- Brush for two to three minutes at least twice a day,and make sure to brush along thegum line.
- Use a toothpaste with fluoride to help prevent cavities.
- Floss daily to remove plaque fromin-betweenyour teeth and places where your toothbrush cannot reach.
- Use a mouth rinse that can help to rinse away and reduce plaque buildup.
- Avoid any tobaccoproducts which can cause gum disease.
- Follow a healthy diet and avoid foods and drinks with high levels of sugar.
- Exercise regularly
- Make sure to have cavities and any other issues fixed as soon as possible.
Part of our cleaning and exam process is to perform a detailed evaluation of the gums. We will discussboth the health of your teeth and gums, and recommend treatment if necessary. Your oral health is ourpriority, and our staff is here to help keep your teeth and gums healthy.
Looking T o Make an Appoin tment?
If you are interested in making an appointment, or notice an issue with the health of your gums such asbleeding or irritation we encourage you to visit our office. Prevention is important, and treatingsymptoms early can help avoid more serious issues in the future.
To schedule your appointment please contact our office, and our friendly staff will be happy to assistyou.